On October 28th in Las Vegas, I’ll present my views on the seven most important innovations to date in airline distribution, and then will make predictions about three future innovations. Here are some of the past innovations that are in my top 20 list, in no special order:
- Revenue management
- Going from proprietary CRSs to multi-supplier GDSs
- Code sharing
- ITA’s faring engine
- ITN’s (GetThere’s predecessor) web-based reservation platform
- TRX’s large-scale mid-office ticketing routines for Microsoft’s Expedia
- Priceline’s “name your own price” concept
- PRISM Group’s corporate contract modeling and monitoring tool
- Whoever built the first good airfare comparison shopping site – SideStep, Kayak, or ??
- ATPCO’s standardized electronic MCO format (a work in process)
What’s on your list?